A record 400 lodging industry professionals gathered on Thursday, February 7, 2019 at Live! Casino & Hotel to honor exemplary employees and unique programs in the hotel industry, at the Maryland Hotel Lodging Association’s (MHLA) 30th Annual Stars of the Industry Awards Luncheon.
“The Stars of the Industry event is very special to us at MHLA and to all those that make up the hotel industry in Maryland. It gives us a chance to recognize the people that are on the front lines every day,” said Amy Rohrer, president & CEO of MHLA. “These nominees are the face of lodging in Maryland and they are the best of the best in their positions. Their dedication does not go unnoticed!”
Winners were announced in twelve different categories, three property awards, nine employee awards – Division 1 for properties with 250 rooms or less and Division 2 for properties with more than 250 rooms. This year saw 132 nominations submitted, the highest number of nominations since the event began.
A special award was also given to Wynter Sharps with the SpringHill Suites Columbia. Wynter is the first hotel apprentice in Maryland to have participated in the American Hotel & Lodging Association’s (AHLA) apprenticeship program and was given an “Achievement Award” for her impressive progress in the industry. She began her career as a front desk agent and in less than 2 years was promoted to assistant general manager and holds a Certified Hotel Administrator certificate.
The annual Stars event also marks the opening of MHLA’s scholarship opportunities. In 2019, MHLA plans to award multiple $1,500 scholarships. Applications from Maryland hotel employees meeting all specified criteria will be accepted through May 31, 2019. For more information and the application, click here.
The Maryland Hotel Lodging Industry would like to congratulate all of the Stars of the Industry nominees and award winners!
This year’s recipients of the Stars of the Industry Awards are:
Honors a hotel that gets involved with their local communities and generates good will that extends far beyond their own doors.
• Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor
Honors a property that drives fresh thinking and inspires a culture of innovation among staff, guests, the environment and/or the community.
• Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
Recognizes a hotel with programs that create goodwill among guests and effectively meets their needs.
• MGM National Harbor
Emerging Leader of the Year
Awarded to an exemplary employee, under age 30, who has demonstrated superior professional dedication, leadership, and a fresh perspective to their job.
• Division 1: Chasidy Chambers, Kimpton Hotel Monaco Baltimore
• Division 2: Hannah Lauck, Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
The following awards recognize excellence among individual employees in each hotel department.
Administrative/Support Star of the Year
• Division 1: Mallory Davis, Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore
• Division 2: Yvonne Rallo, Baltimore Marriott Waterfront
Food & Beverage Star of the Year
• Division 1 (Select Service): Farideh Sohailee, Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore
• Division 1 (Full Service): Alfredo Tovar, Holiday Inn Columbia East-Jessup
• Division 2: Paulette Barnaby, Bethesda Marriott
• Division 2: Timothy Yu, Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Guest Services Star of the Year
• Division 1: Angel Castillo, Homewood Suites by Hilton Baltimore
• Division 2: Maryam Aslami, BWI Airport Marriott
• Division 2: Milton Delaney, MGM National Harbor
Heart of the House Star of the Year
• Division 1: Juan Ochoa, Holiday Inn Express & Suites Germantown-Gaithersburg
• Division 2: Sidney Nkodia, Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor
Housekeeping Star of the Year
• Divison 1: Arielle Ouano, Sagamore Pendry Baltimore
• Division 2: Keara Jones, Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
Sales Professional of the Year
• Division 1: Jenny Betlejewski, Turf Valley Resort
• Division 2: Gail Scrivener, Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport
Manager of the Year
Recognizes exceptional performance by an employee in a supervisory role.
• Division 1: Eric Reyes, Hotel Indigo Baltimore Downtown
• Division 2: Brandon Sease, Sheraton Inner Harbor
General Manager of the Year
Honors a hotelier who has demonstrated superior professionalism in operating a Maryland Hotel Lodging Association member property.
• Division 1: Amanda Rankin, SpringHill Suites Hagerstown
• Division 2: Bob Daley, Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
20 Ridgely Ave., Suite 309, Annapolis, MD 21401 • Phone: (410) 974-4472 • Email: mhla@MDLodging.org
Copyright Maryland Hotel Lodging Association All Rights Reserved.